Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Blog Reflection


       To say that I have blogged before is something of an understatement. Many years ago (at the completion of Junior College), I was encouraged by one of my former instructors to do something useful with the massive array of information I had gathered over the previous two years. After some heavy duty research I began rememberthispoint.com in June 2012, now a three year ‘experiment’ has had over 145,000 page views since going online (I didn’t monitor traffic for several weeks, so this count is conservative). Using ‘Blogger’ has been a relative cakewalk by comparison, prepping material and using both internal and external tools to make things work haven’t been necessary (and it’s free, my other is hosted in the cloud and costs a couple hundred a year to have someone else manage that aspect).

       Blogger would be great for students to experiment with, as I see some taking quite readily to it and others not so much. Blogging is not for everyone (long term), there is always a certain amount of commitment that is necessary to make your blog useful and/or informative, without it you’re wasting everyone’s time.

       I have actually begun to give real consideration of converting my current blog to one for my classroom and/or subject material, there are a lot of things to consider, most importantly content. There are lots of neat things that you can legally repost without a hitch, but some educational material might become an issue, so these things are on my mind.

       There was not really anything overwhelming regarding this assignment, other than one thing. Since I already consistently develop and search for content at rememberthispoint.com it did become confusing what I had used where and if I had posted for this assignment or my webpage. Other than that this was a really interesting project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment